Suggestions for celebrating Welwyn Garden City’s 100th birthday in 2020 flowed thick and fast at a meeting called by the WGC Centenary Foundation on 6th April 2017. Sportsmen and women gathered in the Collingwood Suite in response to an invitation from Graeme Bell on behalf of the Foundation.
Representatives were present from clubs devoted to sports as diverse as angling, badminton, cycling, football, orienteering through to swimming, etc plus public and other bodies e.g., Borough Council, the Gosling Foundation, Herts Disabled Sport, University of Hertfordshire, Stanborough School were present. A fascinating presentation was made by Emma Ramsdale, the manager of “Kinetic Cycles” and John Shead, who together, have organised the “Petit Tour” cycling event in WGC over the past 4 years.
Some of the points made:
- The Centenary will involve WGC and can include Lemsford, Digswell, etc .
- Sports activities which take place every year can be branded to be part of the Centenary.
- A single calendar of sporting activities should be produced for the Centenary Year.
- The Welwyn Hatfield Sport & Physical Activity Alliance already produce a calendar.
- The trick is to make the whole greater than the sum of the parts through cooperation.
- 2020 is Olympic Games year so there will be greater than usual public interest in sport.
- The Gosling Centre is keen to hold an Open Weekend for people to try all sports.
Dr Dennis Lewis, who attended the meeting as a representative of the Centenary Foundation said “ It was very heartening to see people from so many of the town’s sporting organisations, and others, coming together to generate and exchange ideas so readily on how sport can be at the heart of our Centenary celebrations. In the words of Ebenezer Howard, Welwyn Garden City is “a town designed for healthy living” and this meeting demonstrated very clearly how the essence of that remark is so appropriate in the field of sport.”
A “Centenary Sports Working Group” was set up at the meeting, consisting of 6 local sportsmen and women. The first meeting has been arranged for April 27th.
More ideas on arranging sporting events to celebrate the Centenary will always be welcome. Anyone with any suggestions should contact Craig Woodward on 01707 331056 or Dennis Lewis on 01707 324048